Monday, April 4, 2011

Booze and Tunes 4/4/11: The Internet Needs Us

A few weeks ago I mentioned to Josh that I had come up with a great idea for the podcast that would win over the internet and make us rich and famous.

Booze and Tunes

The idea was simple, pick an album and pair it with an alcohol. Similar to a food pairing but with music, and more booze. What is there not to love?

The show is still in the womb but we will be ready for recording and as we get closer and closer to the actual deadline of May 1st. We've done one dry run so far and will get at least one more in before we set things into stone with actual equipment and a full cast. Needless to say everyone involved is very excited that this is coming to fruition and the feedback I've gotten on the first dry run has been very positive while still helpful.

As with all things I set out to do, I want it done right. The best way to ensure our already guaranteed success is to scope out the competition and learn from their already made mistakes. With that said, on the way home I popped open the stitcher app and started looking for music review shows. Under "Music Talk Radio" I found primarily podcasts that showcasts music, almost like a radio show that focused on playing tunes and very little discussing of what was played. This may sound like a relatively cool idea until you realize one simple thing;

All of the music is garbage and the music nerds have the personality of a doorknob.

I don't want to be so petty as to list the exact podcasts or music they played but I can not state how bad it was. The music can be summed up as ambient music with no direction or inspiration and a musical cap of no more than 3 notes per 4 minute increment. After a painful 7 minutes or so of listening to one of the podcasts I found myself screaming in the general direction of my droid;
"DID ANYONE ACTUALLY LISTEN TO THIS DRIBBLE BEFORE PUBLISHING IT?!?!"

The personalities were straight forward with little to no factual use or knowledge. How that is even accomplished, I don't know. That is not to mention the content, which on the first three pages was composed of;

sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw sxsw

Which in case you don't know is a music (and film) conference in Austin. Yes, it is a very big deal. Yes, a TON of amazing bands are there doing a TON of amazing things however it happened three weeks ago. Three weeks is 1,000,000 years in internet time. This wouldn't matter if the real world was paying attention to your broadcast, but they're not. It's the internet and in one week things can change as if years had past by.

I only pray that my general distaste with Talk Music podcasts is terribly misdirected and misinformed. Prove me wrong, let me know what your listening to and lets pray to god that Booze and Tunes comes sooner than later.

Because the music is good, the people are phenomenal and the internet needs us.

No comments: